Former judge and current Fox News contributor Jeanine Pirro declared the justice system is broken after a violent offender who’d been released went on a murderous spree in Memphis on Wednesday.
The violence spanned a day and shocked a city that is accustomed to shocking violent crime. The suspect was arrested last year on attempted murder charges but served only 11 months of a three-year sentence on an aggravated assault plea.
Pirro told Fox that she would sentence someone to a certain amount of years and marvel at how fast the DA would submit a parole request. The former judge said there’s no “truth in sentencing” in most states and offenders get a benefit for “good time.” Whatever that means.
Memphis Police Director Cerelyn “CJ” Davis reported that Ezekiel Kelly, 19, was arrested after crashing a stolen car. Authorities say he is a violent felon who was released from prison earlier this year. The alleged gunman drove around the city shooting at people apparently at random on Wednesday.
Kelly has been charged with first-degree murder. Four people died and several others were injured in the rampage.
The first killing is believed to have taken place just after midnight Wednesday morning, and three other incidents followed throughout the day before the tip that led to his whereabouts came in.
Kelly was reportedly livestreaming his acts on Facebook and issuing threats to harm others. There were two carjackings along with the three other shootings, and police say he killed a woman when he took her Toyota SUV in Memphis.
19-year-old Ezekiel Kelly is finally in custody after going on a shooting spree while on Facebook Live in Memphis
— No Jumper (@nojumper) September 8, 2022
At one point law enforcement officials said he crossed into Mississippi and stole a man’s Dodge Challenger. Kelly ultimately led police on a high-speed chase and crashed. He was arrested without further incident and police said two guns were found in the vehicle.
Public transportation was shut down across the city and college campuses were closed.
A minor league baseball game was cleared, and media outlets cut into regular programming to provide updates on the search for the violent suspect. Memphis police tweeted at one point that “if you do not have to be out, stay indoors until this is resolved.”