Israel Frees Four Hostages

Israel announced that it had successfully rescued four hostages taken in the Oct. 7 terrorist attack. The freeing of the hostages sparked celebrations in Israel and across Jewish communities worldwide.

The raid in Gaza rescued four hostages, including one woman who was filmed being abducted. The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) and intelligence agents stormed the Nuseirat refugee camp in dangerous conditions. One Israeli servicemember was killed in the attack.

IDF spokesman Rear Admiral Daniel Hagari said that the rescue was a “clear message to Hamas. We are very determined to return the hostages home and will do so in any way and by any means possible.”

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that Israel sought to rescue more than 100 remaining hostages.

“We will not let go until we complete the mission and return all our hostages home — both the living and the dead,” he said.

The United States reportedly aided Israel with intelligence regarding the hostages and the rescue. Hamas is now threatening a humanitarian pier constructed off the shore of Gaza by the United States as a target.

There were celebrations in Israel, as well as significant media coverage. Jewish communities could be seen celebrating in videos shared on social media.

The rescue came after several proposed ceasefire deals were nixed by Hamas. Israel is surrounding the last major Hamas stronghold of Rafah, which President Joe Biden called a “red line.”

The Israeli forces seized an important border crossing and appear to be making preparations for the final approach on the city. Some members of Israel’s wartime government said that it would leave the current coalition unless Netanyahu acted decisively.

Hamas denied one of the ceasefire offers because it stated it could not guarantee that a number of the hostages taken during the Oct. 7 attack were still alive. It is not clear how many hostages are still alive.

The terrorist group took more than 200 hostages during the attack, including several Americans. Israel has rescued several other hostages while some were released during a November ceasefire.