The foolishness and embarrassment of President Joe Biden’s bumbling withdrawal from Afghanistan last year is only surpassed by the military donation he left the victorious Taliban. And now the sum total of that gift is known.
The Defense Department’s Office of Inspector General revealed that the U.S.’s hasty and unorganized retreat abandoned $7.12 billion in military equipment paid for by American taxpayers. And the Taliban publicly rejoiced in the leftover supplies that helped them secure power.
The report just published showed the damage done by the hasty and ill-planned retreat that embarrassed the United States on the world stage. Everything from “military aircraft, ground vehicles, weapons and other military equipment” was left gift-wrapped for the terrorist regime.
The inventory of abandoned equipment reads like a Christmas wish list for militant radicals. Left behind were over 316,000 small arms weapons that the Inspector General said included sniper rifles, machine guns, and grenade launchers.
The value of that cache alone is up to $511.8 million.
A year ago today, Biden National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan admitted a "fair amount" of military equipment fell into the hands of the Taliban.
Biden left behind billions of dollars worth of advanced military equipment, and had no plan to get it back. pic.twitter.com/CWhUAhN6jh
— RNC Research (@RNCResearch) August 17, 2022
And that’s just the start. The U.S. gifted the Taliban with $923.3 billion in military aircraft and another $294.6 million in aircraft munitions and weapons. It is reported that some of the aircraft were able to be rendered useless by being “decommissioned” by the military.
The misinformation by the Biden administration after the inept withdrawal extended far beyond military hardware and support equipment. After last year’s spectacle in Kabul, Secretary of State Antony Blinken told the House that only 100 U.S. nationals remained in Afghanistan who wanted to leave.
It should be noted that 100 U.S. nationals trapped as the Taliban swept back through the country is entirely unacceptable.
Now, however, the State Department recently confirmed to Politico that there have been over 800 U.S. citizens and 600 U.S. permanent residents evacuated since the pullout.
This Biden administration continues to ignore what may be the biggest embarrassment suffered by the country in decades. Come November, if the GOP retakes the House as most anticipate, it will assuredly not be swept under the rug any longer.